Blues and Brass Bandana Cowl
Free Crochet Pattern
The Blues and Bandana Cowl is stylish and trendy! Wear this cowl with your favorite winter coat when the weather is cold. Alternatively, it’s a great spring or fall accessory that you can wear over a thick and comfortable sweater. The cowl collar can be buttoned for extra warmth, or worn open and flat giving you different styling options.
The Blues and Bandana Cowl comes in sizes XS-5X.
The Blues and Bandana Cowl was designed specifically for ELK Studio Handcrafted Crochet’s Make it for Me Event that runs through the whole month of January. I wanted to create a piece that when I wear it, I feel good, stylish and, dare I say… sexy! I love the versatility of the Blues and Bandana Cowl because I can wear it with my favorite winter coat for an added layer of warmth or just over a sweater.
You’ll find that in this specific blog post, only the listing of the main pattern information, such as yarn used, materials needed, pattern notes, etc. Why? Because the pattern is quite long and I needed to break it up into sections for each size. No worries though! All sizes are FREE and can be found by just clicking the link to your desired size. The sizes are written down as such: XS/S, M/L, 1X (XL) – 5X.
I wanted the viewing of the pattern to be as easy, simple, and painless as possible for you. My biggest priority is your ease of viewing of the pattern with little to no confusion when finding your desired size. Now, I do have to mention that the PDF will come in ALL sizes, so if you want to get the PDF, you’ll get all sizes in one file.
Same DiNamics Crochet is a participant in affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for this site to earn advertising fees, at no extra cost to you, by advertising and linking to affiliate programs.
- Add this pattern to your Ravelry favorites here.
- You can purchase an ad-free PDF copy of this pattern here. This is to offset any revenue lost when the free pattern on the site is not visited.
- If you find any errors, please let me know at [email protected]
- Yarn – Lion Brand Color Palette Jeans Yarn Denim Forever, #4, worsted weight, 276 yds
- Color A – Brand New, 2 (3, 4) skeins; Color B – Topstitch, ½ (1, 2) skein, 615 (861) total.
- Hook – 6.5mm hook
- Notions – needle for weaving in ends, 4, 1” buttons (optional)
- X/S – to fit shoulders measuring 14” – 15”
- M/L – to fit shoulders measuring 16” – 17 ½”
- 1X (XL) – 5X – to fit shoulders measuring 17 ½” – 18 ½”
In Hhdc: 12sts x 10 rows = 4” yarn
Ch – chain; st(s) – stitch(es); sk – skip; sp(s) – space(s); sl st – slip stitch; ea – each; CA – Color A; CB – Color B; sc – single crochet; hdc – half double crochet; Hhdc – Herringbone half double crochet; dc2tog – double crochet 2 together; dc3tog – double crochet together; RS – Right Side
Herringbone half double crochet (Hhdc) – YO, insert hook into st, pull up yarn, (3 loops on hook), pull yarn through first loop (2 loops on hook), YO, pull yarn through the 2 remaining loops. See Moogly blog tutorial here: http://www.mooglyblog.com/herringbone-half-double-crochet/
Easy to Intermediate (more like an advanced beginner). Photo tutorial will help.
- Ch1 does not equal a st.
- Ch2 equals a st, place your last st of ea row on the top of the ch2.
- When indicated to switch colors, switch colors on the last st of row.
- You will be cutting yarn in this project, so be prepared for ends to be weaved in. You will mainly be cutting CB, since only two rows of CB are required per every 6 rows. You may be able to carry up the yarn; it’s up to you.
- Where it says to “1 sc in the middle loop of the same st and in the middle loop of ea st to end” – See pictures at the bottom of pattern for tutorial. It will assume that you know it’s a loop of the Hhdc of the row below
- Different sizes are broken into sections; they can be found by clicking your desired size:
I hope that you enjoy making your very own version of the Blues and Brass Bandana Cowl! I know I enjoyed making mine. Once you get the hang of the stitches and how it flows, it will smooth crocheting for you!
Much love and happy hooking!
Join the Same DiNamics Crocheters group to stay up to date with SDC!
You can also follow me on Instagram, Google+ Collections, Pinterest, Twitter, Ravelry, and Facebook.
Register for my monthly (give or take) newsletter, too!